What is Home insurance?
How much building cover do I need?
What are high risk items?
When looking for a home contents policy you will be asked to list the high risk items in your home. This helps the insurance company decide how much of a risk it would be to offer you insurance. It also helps them set the level of your premium – the higher the risk, the higher the premium.
Some insurance policies cover high risk items as standard, you will usually find a list of them in your policy document.
Most companies will insure any single item up to the value of £1500. If you have anything of this value you’ll need to specify this when you take out your cover. Anything of a higher value might need additional cover.
Example of high risk items:
- articles of gold, silver or other precious metals
- audio equipment
- camping equipment
- compact discs
- computer equipment
- credit, debit, charge, cheque or cash cards
- digital versatile/video discs
- DVD players/recorders
- guns and firearms
- mobile phones
- pedal cycles
- photographic equipment
- portable electronic games
- portable musical instruments
- portable sports equipment
- stamp, coin and medal collections
- video and audio equipment
- High risk items do not include:
- household goods
- any domestic appliance which is part of fitted units
- interior decorations
- living creatures
- motor vehicles, caravans, trailers, boats, canoes, windsurf boards, surfboards, sailboards, personal watercraft, hovercraft, aircraft, gliders and any parts and accessories which are designed to be used with any of these
- property owned or used totally or partly for business purposes or connected with any employment (but not property defined as office equipment)
- data, information or computer programs which have been created by, or specifically for members of your household
- property more specifically insured by this or any other policy.
Protecting Your home.
We can cover:
- Owner Occupier
- Home Buildings & Contents Insurance
- Home insurance – Standard Cover or with Accidental Damage
- House contents insurance with the option of personal belongings coverBuildings cover available, with or without contents
- Discounts for No Claims
- Flexible cover to match your needs
- Monthly payment option
- Garden cover available
- Legal Expenses cover – available with our home insurance policy
- Legal Liability to public to £2,000,000
- Alternative accommodation
- Accidental Damage Cover (Optional)